Please note: If you have recently opened this page, you may need to clear your browser cache to see the most recent updates.
The following websites provide the most current information regarding COVID-19 and Human Subjects Research:
- VPR Announcement – Requirements Specifically for Human Subject Research March 13, 2020
- IRB Requirements and Guidance for COVID-19 Impacted Studies March 15, 2020
- COVID-19 FAQs Related to Human Subject Research March 17, 2020/ Update March 29, 2020
- Research Continuity Considerations for Research in the Social Sciences, Humanities, and Other Field-Based Research March 15, 2020
- VPR Research Continuity Guidance Website
- FDA COVID-19 Guidance March 18, 2020
UVA’s Human Research Protection Program (HRPP)
The research community at the University of Virginia (UVA) recognizes the immense contribution that human subjects provide the research initiative. The Human Research Protection Program advocates for human subjects in research by working in concert with UVA researchers to ensure that they have the education and tools they need to work ethically with participants in their research studies. UVA’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) & Post-Approval Monitoring (PAM) offices work with the other HRPP partner offices to ensure that compliance with federal regulations and ethical principles create research environments that are proactively protecting participants as researchers achieve their research goals.
In order to facilitate the accurate and efficient review of research protocols, the Human Research Protection Program includes two Institutional Review Board offices: the Institutional Review Board for Health Sciences Research (IRB-HSR) and the Institutional Review Board for Social and Behavioral Sciences (IRB-SBS). The IRB-HSR reviews medical studies while the IRB-SBS reviews studies from the social and behavioral sciences.
Allegations of misconduct can be reported confidentially to the University's Research Integrity Officer (RIO) in the Office of the Vice President for Research or through the University's Compliance Helpline.