The University of Virginia is committed to the protection of human subjects involved in research studies. In pursuit of this commitment, and to satisfy the requirements of federal regulatory agencies, the Post Approval Monitoring and Education Program (HRPP PAM & Ed) was initiated in 2002. The program is managed by two groups which share the same mission: the IRB-HSR PAM & Ed and IRB-SBS PAM & Ed.
The purpose of the program is to provide internal oversight on compliance issues relating to the performance of human subject research, conducted under the University’s Federal Wide Assurance Agreement with the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP).
The emphasis of the program is to:
- ensure the rights and well-being of research participants
- ensure the quality and integrity of the research
- identify educational and research support needs
- ensure compliance with federal, state, local and institutional regulations and guidelines
- identify areas of strength, as well as areas needing improvement, in research policies and practice