University of Virginia Compliance Helpline 1-800-235-8700
UVA's misconduct procedures are designed to safeguard the rights of the accused and the complainant (if one is identified) while recognizing the university community's interest in research integrity.
The procedures five main steps:
1. Call 1-800-235-8700 and report possible violations of the Research Misconduct, anonymously if desired, 24 hours/7 days per week.
2. An initial assessment is done to determine if the allegation meets the definition of research misconduct
3. If #2 is yes, an inquiry is conducted to determine if a full research misconduct investigation is warranted
4. If warranted, an investigation occurs to collect and thoroughly examine evidence
5. If a misconduct determination is made, the resolution and outcome depend upon the kind of appointment the accused holds and on the seriousness of the misconduct.
The University of Virginia is committed to an environment where open, honest communications are expected. We want you to feel comfortable approaching your supervisor or management in instances where you believe violations of policies or standards have occurred.
However, if you find yourself in an ethical dilemma or suspect inappropriate or illegal conduct, and are not comfortable reporting your concern to management, we encourage you to use this helpline to report your concern. Your concerns are important to us. You may provide contact information or you may remain anonymous.
UVA uses an outside agency, a third-party helpful provider, to assist us by documenting your concerns or reports of possible misconduct. The information you provide is sent to UVA confidentially and anonymously, if you choose. You have our commitment your concerns will be heard. The University prohibits retaliation directed against a person for making a good faith complaint or assisting or participating in the complaint process.
The Compliance Helpline is not for reporting criminal or medical emergencies. If this is a criminal or medical emergency, please call 911.