Please note: If you have recently opened this page, you may need to clear your browser cache to see the most recent updates.
The following websites provide the most current information regarding COVID-19 and Human Subjects Research:
- VPR Announcement – Requirements Specifically for Human Subject Research March 13, 2020
- IRB Requirements and Guidance for COVID-19 Impacted Studies March 15, 2020
- COVID-19 FAQs Related to Human Subject Research March 17, 2020/ Update May 1, 2020
- VPR Research Continuity Guidance Website
- FDA COVID-19 Guidance March 18, 2020
- COVID 19 Research Prioritization Committee (CRPC)
- VPR Research Ramp-up Guidance May 28, 2020/ Update June 30, 2020
- UVA Guidelines for Return to Clinical Research June 30, 2020
- OHRP Determination of Exception to the Single IRB Review Requirements During COVID-19 Public Health EmergencyOctober 12, 2020
ACCESS TO PROTOCOL BUILDER AND IRB ONLINE WHILE OFF GROUNDS
Protocol Builder and IRB Online are only accessible off grounds /off campus via a UVA Anywhere VPN (this is different from a VPN from the UVA Health System).
A digital certificate is required before you can obtain a UVA Anywhere VPN. Contact your department IT personnel for assistance with setting this up.
IRB-HSR Office Hours/ Review Delays:
- Office hours are suspended until further notice as all IRB-HSR staff are working from home.
- Please contact IRB-HSR staff members by email or email our office using IRBHSR@virginia.edu.
- For urgent email requests to the IRB-HSR include COVID-19 in the subject line and send to IRBHSR@virginia.edu.
- With IRB Pro our staff can handle the bulk of our office processes remotely; however, current disruptions may cause delay in the review process. We appreciate your patience at this time.
Welcome to the Institutional Review Board for Health Sciences Research (IRB-HSR).
The IRB-HSR is responsible for reviewing all medically related research involving human subjects conducted by UVA faculty, employees and students. The IRB-HSR also serves as the HIPAA Privacy Board for research involving Protected Health Information (PHI).
Did You Know?
As of December 1, 2019, the courier between the IRB-HSR and the SOM Office of Grants and Contracts will no longer transport documents between the two offices. All documents must be submitted electronically to the IRB-HSR and all documents from the IRB-HSR for study teams will be in IRB Pro.
For more information on IRB Pro see the Learning Shot at IRB Pro Information for Study Team Members
Effective October 22, 2019, the IRB-HSR will implement IRB Pro, a new electronic document storage program. For more info see the IRB Pro Learning shots under the Education tab above.