Please note: If you have recently opened this page, you may need to clear your browser cache to see the most recent updates.
The following websites provide the most current information regarding COVID-19 and Human Subjects Research:
- VPR Announcement – Requirements Specifically for Human Subject Research March 13, 2020
- IRB Requirements and Guidance for COVID-19 Impacted Studies March 15, 2020
- COVID-19 FAQs Related to Human Subject Research March 17, 2020/ May 1, 2020
- Research Continuity Considerations for Research in the Social Sciences, Humanities, and Other Field-Based Research March 15, 2020
- VPR Research Continuity Guidance Website
- COVID 19 Research Prioritization Committee (CRPC)
- VPR Research Ramp-up Guidance (May 18, 2020)
IRB-SBS Office Hours/ Review Delays:
- On-campus hours are suspended until further notice.
- Office hours at One Morton Dr. are suspended until further notice. All IRB-SBS staff are working from home.
- Please contact IRB staff member by email or email our office using email@example.com.
- For urgent email requests to the IRB-SBS include COVID-19 in the subject line and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With the transition to iProtocol in 2019, our staff can handle the bulk of our office processes remotely. However, current disruptions may cause delay in the review process and we appreciate your patience at this time.
As part of the Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) at the University of Virginia, the Institutional Review Board for the Social and Behavioral Sciences (IRB-SBS) is the IRB responsible for reviewing all non-medical behavioral human research (studies which are considered medically non-invasive) for compliance with federally-mandated research guidelines. Review of human subjects research is required for funded and non-funded research and for research conducted by faculty, students, and all those under the purview of the University of Virginia.
- Protocol History: iProtocol now displays a protocol's history. For more information see Protocol History.
- Close an iProtocol: iProtocol now allows you to close your study. For more information see Closing an iProtocol.
- Changes to Consent Templates: Make sure you are using the most current versions of our consent templates-- it will save time in your protocol review by reducing the number of requested revisions.
- Need to change UVA personnel listed on your iProtocol? Use the new Personnel Management Tool which allows you to change UVA personnel without submitting a modification. Do not submit a modification to change personnel unless you have been notified that your protocol doesn't qualify for the Personnel Management Tool.
- All new protocols must submit using iProtocol. iProtocol Text Boxes is a Word doc with all of the iProtocol text fields; it can be useful if you prefer to type larger passages in Word and then paste them into the iProtocol fields.
- Pardon our dust; we are rebuilding our site on a new platform. Some links may not function properly but check back as they will be operational shortly.