The Research Ramp-Up Guidance, provided by the VPR’s office, is the original source of information regarding COVID-19 human subjects research policy. The purpose of this page is to highlight content specifically related to IRB-SBS researchers and their frequently asked questions but it is important to note that all researchers need to be familiar with and frequently access the Research Ramp-Up Guidance for the latest information.
Current Research Phases
All non-medical research (not just human subject research) on-grounds or at UVA leased/occupied spaces are in Phase I
Please see “Phases Description” at https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance. Non-medical research is divided into three phases: Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III. These phases are different from the IRB-SBS approved research phases described in the next paragraph.
All IRB-SBS approved research is in Phase 2
“University of Virginia Guidelines for Return to Social and Behavioral Sciences Research With Human Participants” describes the IRB-SBS approved research phases. In the Research Ramp-Up Guidance site, look for the Human Subjects Research header and select the link in “See separate guidelines for Social & Behavioral Sciences”: https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance.
IRB-SBS approved research is divided into three phases: Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3. These phases are different from the non-medical research phases described above.
- On-campus hours are suspended until further notice.
- Office hours at One Morton Dr. are suspended until further notice. All IRB-SBS staff are working from home.
- Please contact IRB staff member by email or email our office using firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For urgent email requests to the IRB-SBS include COVID-19 in the subject line and send to email@example.com.
- With the transition to iProtocol in 2019, our staff can handle the bulk of our office processes remotely. However, current disruptions may cause delay in the review process and we appreciate your patience at this time.
The list below includes current websites and documents describing restrictions for COVID-19 research involving human subject research in the social, behavioral, and educational sciences.
- Research Ramp-Up Toolkit: All on-grounds and off-grounds research must be approved using the following procedure regardless of whether it includes face to face interactions: https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-toolkit.
- Research Ramp-Up Guide: current information regarding research regulations for UVA in regards to COVID-19 restrictions. https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance.
- IRB-SBS COVID-19 Guide: All social, behavioral, and educational research is covered by the guidance document “University of Virginia Guidelines for Return to Social and Behavioral Sciences Research With Human Participants.” In the Research Ramp-Up Guidance site, look for the Human Subjects Research header and select the link in “See separate guidelines for Social & Behavioral Sciences”: https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance.
- Travel: All travel is covered by the following policy document: https://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/SEC-046.
- International travel: If the travel is outside of the United States visit the International Studies Website for updates: https://iso.virginia.edu/. As of 6/28/2020, all international travel is suspended until at least 8/25/2020.
- Travel exceptions: If Faculty or Staff require an exception to the international travel restrictions, then follow the procedures in the travel policy document at: https://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/SEC-046.
- Field Research: All field research (off-grounds or non-UVA leased/occupied properties) is subject to the guidance found on the Research Ramp-Up Guidance page under “Additional Considerations for a Successful Ramp-Up: Human Subjects Research” by clicking on the link found under “Off-Grounds Field-Based Research“: https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance.
- EHS Guide: The Office of Environmental Health and Safety has developed a document which was intended as a checklist for re-opening laboratory research at UVA, but can be used as a guide to COVID-19 public health considerations and best practices. It can be found on the Research Ramp-Up Guidance page under “Additional Considerations for a Successful Ramp-Up: Human Subjects Research” by clicking on the link under “Lab-Based Research”: https://research.virginia.edu/research-ramp-guidance.
- COVID-19 Research Prioritization Committee (CRPC): Committee charged with evaluating studies related to COVID-19; see “Social Sciences Subcommittee” (link on the right side of the page) for information related to social sciences. https://research.med.virginia.edu/clinicalresearch/covid-19-research-prioritization-committee/
- COVID-19 FAQs Related To Human Subjects Research: frequently asked questions related to human subjects research. https://research.virginia.edu/human-research-protection-program/COVID19FAQs