Update on Phase III (May 17, 2021):
Dear Research Colleagues,
Following the announcement on masking policy by President Ryan, the lab policies will be revised as below.
We are now in Phase III where individuals are allowed to work in the laboratory environment normally subject to the following safety guidelines consistent with University policy (SEC-045 Temporary Policy Modification as of May 14, 2021).
1. UVA community members who are fully vaccinated can now safely forego masks both indoors and outdoors. This applies to the laboratory setting.
2. All unvaccinated students, faculty, staff, and contractors must wear masks at all times when they are inside, except when they are alone and in their own private space (e.g., in an individual office). When they are outside, unvaccinated students, faculty, staff, and contractors must wear a mask even when they can maintain a physical distance of at least six feet. Everyone should sanitize hands before removing their mask or returning it to their face.
3. If your laboratory is in health systems space and managed by the school of medicine, please check with the dean’s office for health systems mask wearing policies.
4. Laboratory personnel must wash hands at regular intervals. When hand washing is not possible, use ethanol (>60%) hand sanitizer.
5. Maintain social distancing by designing space between people to be at least 6 feet during prolonged work.
6. The PI is responsible for organizing his/her laboratory to allow for six feet distancing of personnel while in the laboratory until further determination on spacing is made.
7. The PI is no longer required to submit a ramp up plan for approval by the dean’s office.
Melur K. (Ram) Ramasubramanian, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research
Only students are required to do prevalence testing for summer 2021.
Students (both UG and Grad)- Must test once a week via saliva testing. NOTE: Vaccinated students starting 14 days from the date of their final dose they will be exempt from testing. Records for students who have been vaccinated through UVA Health will be transferred automatically. Students who have received vaccines from providers other than UVA Health should upload their vaccination record (“vaccine card”) through the Healthy Hoos Patient Portal .
Researchers: Testing is encouraged but not required unless you are a student.
If you would like to test visit the BeSafe webpage for times and locations.
The following process is designed to help you plan and prepare for applying for a ramp up of your critical research in a timely, safe, and sustainable manner.
See also Research FAQ's for research plan and prevalence testing questions.
Planning process for faculty PI
- Please visit the Ramp-Up Guidance for safety guidelines you need for planning
- “Phases” vary by area. For example the Commonwealth of Virginia is currently in Phase II. Research at UVA is in Phase III, while SBS IRB, as of July 1, 2020 Off-grounds research with human subjects requiring face-to-face contact is in Phase II. It is important to look at the correct area to see what Phase it is currently in.
- Make a list of your lab/research personnel using this Excel template for later entry into the web portal. Each person needs to be added individually by computing ID (THIS NEEDS TO BE UP TO DATE EACH WEEK)
- Make a Lab Schedule using this Excel template
- Create a lab safety plan for COVID using this template (You will need to upload this as part of the ramp-up plan)
- Have all personnel complete the online training module in Workday: Return to Work on Grounds Training Module and if they are managers they also need to do: Return to Work on Grounds - Guide for Managers
- If personnel do not have access to Workday, have them complete the EHS COVID-19 Awareness and Protection module instead.
- Submit your plan and personnel list in the web portal: SEE BELOW
- Need signage? Visit FM webpage
- Develop a daily work attendance log for all lab members
- Order PPE or other supply needs: See Procurement COVID Supplies Guide
- Request delivery of free 3-ply reusable masks
Still have questions? Email us at AskResearch@virginia.edu
Please Note this is a new application, here are some notes / helpful hints to make your submission easier:
- Due to firewall issues, the submission application will NOT allow you access if you are connected to the VPN High Security Network. You will need to disconnect from the VPN client or use the UVA Anywhere access.
- We are having some issues with various browsers- strongly recommend you use Chrome or Edge We are working on correcting the problems with Safari and Firefox.
- Some Health System faculty report if you are using a Health System computer, which apparently has a double layer of firewall protection due to using patient sensitive data and HIPA compliance. You may need to use a different device or disconnect from the firewall.
- After you submit the plan, you need to wait until it is either approved or declined to change it.
- FAQ: Who is my supervisor for this purpose: The owner of the space - center faculty if they reside in center space- not academic supervisor.
- Space on Grounds needs to be entered with the official name of your building. If you are in leased space indicate "non-UVA space" and then use the boxes to explain where the space is located (e.g. One Morton Drive, Blandy Farms, etc).
- SBS IRB & Field Research: The application as written may not fit your circumstances. The application seeks to gain information for allowing all types of research to occur on-grounds or at UVA leased/occupied spaces. If you are applying to secure approval for conducting face-to-face interactions off-grounds please provide the following information in your application:
- For the sections on Exclusive Space, Shared Space, Core Resources, please click “save” without entering any information.
- Under the section titled Non-Grounds Spaces, please enter the country, state, city and a description of the research location for each site you will be visiting.
- Under the section Physical Work Arrangements, please provide information concerning local COVID-19 prevalence, conditions, restrictions, policies, or laws that are currently in place. Also describe each research location and physical-environment conditions to the best of your ability. Include a description of how the researcher intends to meet local policies, laws, restrictions and general best practices as related to COVID-19.
Access the online system HERE.
If you have questions or problems, please email askResearch@virginia.edu
To approve a plan - go HERE.
This link is for supervisor or school dean approval. If you want to see the status of your submission, go back into the submission system and you can see the status of your plan.
The email notification system only works for NEW submissions. You will need to log into the system to check the status of your submission or see plans waiting for your approval. For updated plans or resubmissions no notification to your supervisor or associate dean is sent. Consider sending them an email so they know to look for your submission.
How do I update my Ramp-Up plan?
Go back to the submission webpage, click on your plan, walk through steps-starting at the top- adjusting information as needed. The last step before you submit, “Request Notes” has a drop down and text box where you can indicate your changes. This will help the reviewer know what changed without re-reading entire application.
For FAQ, visit our Frequently Ask Questions page
See something? Say something!
If you would like to report a concern, please follow this link to the COVID Compliance Reporting.