This section will help you describe to the Board the individuals involved in the study, the basic role they play, and their training for human subjects research. The Board needs to know who will fill the following roles: Principal Investigator, Contact Person, Faculty Sponsor (where appropriate) and Research Team (Sub-Investigators), as well as the designated Department Chair (in most cases the principal investigator’s department chair). If you have sub-investigators from other institutions, see Adding Non-UVA Sub-Investigators. If you need to change Personnel after a protocol is approved see Personnel Management Tool.
- The Principal Investigator is the individual that is primarily responsible for the study; this individual can be an undergraduate or graduate student, faculty member, or staff member.
- The Contact Person is the primary contact person for the study. Unless otherwise designated, the Principal Investigator is considered the Contact Person; it isn’t necessary to provide a contact person unless this person is different from the Principal Investigator.
- Faculty Sponsors are required for all studies where the Principal Investigator is an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Research Team members (Sub-Investigators) are individuals involved in data collection, data analysis, and/or interaction with the participants. They can be (but are not restricted to) research assistants, staff members, UVA faculty, and/or individuals from other institutions.
All UVA individuals listed as Principal Investigators, Faculty Sponsors, and members of the Research Team are required to have CITI training; CITI training is connected to an individual’s UVA identification and is automatically uploaded into the protocol when the individual is added to the protocol. For more information on CITI training, see CITI training.
Non-UVA individuals need to provide proof of human subjects research training from their home institution. We will accept valid CITI training from the home institution (even if the home institution's training expiration is different from UVA's) or an equivalent training certification from their institution. If a non-UVA researcher does not have human subjects research training, the individual can take UVA's CITI training course. Please see Non-UVA Research Team (Sub-Investigators) for more information.
You can add Personnel in any order but note that the Faculty Sponsor is only available when the Principal Investigator is added and marked as a “graduate student” or “undergraduate student.”
- Select the “Edit” link next to the desired category.
- Search for the individual using their UVA Identification and select “Click here to search.”* If you don’t know their identification, you can look in the drop-down menu (populated alphabetically by individuals already added to a protocol in iProtocol) or you can use the UVA Search page; select “click here to select.”
- On the next page, verify that the correct person was selected. For Principal Investigators, select the correct category for the PI: Faculty, Staff, Graduate, or Undergraduate Student. Select “assign to protocol.” You will receive a confirmation that the change was made. “Return to Protocol” to continue completing the protocol.
- If an individual needs to be changed or removed, select the appropriate link next to the individual’s name. Please note: When an individual is added to the protocol as Principal Investigator, Faculty Sponsor, or Research Team member, their current CITI training is also displayed. If CITI training is not displayed, training is not active and must be completed before the protocol can be approved.
*If a user is from another institution and doesn’t have UVA Identification (Netbadge), they can be added in the "Non-UVA Sub-Investigator section" or they must have a sponsored UVA Identification (Netbadge) account to be added to iProtocol. Please see Adding Non-UVA Sub-Investigators for more information.
- Verify that the personnel information is entered correctly.
- Verify that CITI training is valid.