UVA faculty/staff/students must complete UVA CITI training (instructions below).
Collaborators at other institutions must provide documentation of human subjects research protection training completion required by their home institution. CITI training at UVA is valid for three years.
- Login to CITI's website (UVA Netbadge) using UVA Netbadge (if you do not have a UVA Netbadge ID, please see below)
- After successful Netbadge login:
Users who already have CITI account(s) associated with their Netbadge login will be taken directly to their CITI profile page where they can directly access the “University of Virginia Courses.”
Users who have not yet associated their CITI account(s) with their Netbadge login should follow instructions to associate their CITI account(s) with their UVA Netbadge ID; see CITI VPR Training Instructions.
If you do not have an existing CITI Program account, you need to create one. Click “Create A New CITI Program Account.” Use your UVA Netbadge ID as your CITI user name.
If you have previously taken CITI training at another institution, you must go to the CITI site, add UVA to your affiliations, and complete the UVA CITI Basic Course appropriate to your role in research. The CITI program will determine which additional modules you will need to take at UVA. NOTE: You must use your UVA Netbadge ID as your CITI user name.
- Select the University of Virginia
- Click on LEARNER TOOLS
- Click on ADD A COURSE
- CITI asks about your role in research. Choose the role that most closely matches your role in research. Roles are dependent on the type of research you do (e.g. health sciences vs. social/ behavioral) and your role in the research process (e.g. researcher, IRB member).
Question 1: Human subjects research training requirement
- For Researchers submitting protocols to the IRB-HSR, you are required to complete IRB-HSR Researcher Basic Course if you have never done so OR IRB-HSR Researcher Refresher Course if you have previously taken the Basic Course.
- For Researchers submitting protocols to the IRB-SBS, you are required to complete IRB-SBS Researcher Basic Course if you have never done so OR IRB-SBS Researcher Refresher Course if you have previously taken the Basic Course.
Question 2: GCP training is an additional requirement for researchers involved in Full Board studies
- CITI will then provide you with a course link to applicable required and optional modules for you to take.
- On the Main Menu page, select University of Virginia
- Courses that you have successful completed will be listed under Completed Courses
- Click on VIEW-PRINT-SHARE to access the completion report and completion certificate for a given course
NOTE: CITI Program website automatically sends your training completion date to the IRB's database at UVA. For IRB-SBS researchers, it will display in iProtocol when you are added to a protocol. For more information, see Personnel.
UVA personnel may go to either of the following sites to determine completion status of CITI training courses:
- CITI Training Completion for an Individual: User must enter computing ID’s for the individual. This site will supply a report of the individual and training completion dates. This report includes GCP training modules in addition to UVA IRB required courses.
- CITI Training Completion by Module: This site will provide a list of all UVA personnel who have completed a specific CITI course.
IRB-SBS researchers using iProtocol can also add a UVA researcher to a protocol and it will display the individual's CITI training in the protocol. For more information, see Personnel.
If you are a person who is in the process of being hired by UVA or coming to do research on-grounds at UVA, your UVA hiring department or sponsoring department will be setting up your UVA Netbadge ID for you. They will reach out to you when completed. Until this happens you may continue to use the CITI website to complete UVA required modules.
When you get your UVA computing ID you can then associate your CITI account with your UVA Netbadge ID. After this process is successfully completed your transcript information will automatically flow from CITI to UVA's IRB database.
If you are a person NOT being hired by UVA and NOT coming to do research on-grounds at UVA, please contact Robert Banks at 924-5152 or email@example.com for assistance.