Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
EHS offers extensive training. Please visit the EHS training site.
Institutional Review Board for Health Sciences Research & Social Behavioral Science
As of January 2007, the CITI Program satisfies UVA's IRB online training requirement for investigators involved in human subject research. please visit the Human Subject Research Protection Training site.
Animal Research Training
- Animal Research Orientation Seminar - mandatory (3 hrs, in person, usually 1/month)
- Online training through the Laboratory Animal Training Assoc (LATA) - mandatory for work with specific species..
- Online training modules through UVA
- Working Safely with Animals
- Rodent Survival Surgery
- Frog Training Module
- Large Animal Surgery
- Verification of Surgical Competence
- Workshops and Classes
- Working Safely with nonhuman primates - Mandatory for people who work with nonhuman primates - video
- NIH Tutorial on writing an animal research proposal
- More information is available online at the Office of Animal Welfare
- Bloodborne Pathogen and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel is required before initiating work with any BSL-2 biological materials registered with the IBC. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Microorganisms (BSL-2 or BSL-3)
- Human blood, blood components, fluids, unfixed organs, tissues and cell lines (primary and established)
- Non-Human Primate Derived Materials (including established cell lines)
- Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecule activities described by NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules
- Select Agents as defined by CDC (42 CFR 73) or USDA (9 CFR 121)
- Either Bloodborne Pathogen and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel OR Biosafety Level 1 Training is required before initiating work with any BSL-1 biological materials registered with the IBC. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Microorganisms (BSL-1)
- Any single experiment using BSL-1 agents to produce quantities of 10 Liters or more of culture at any one time
- Biotoxin Introductory Training is required before initiating work with any biological toxins (with and LD 50 of less than 100 micrograms per kilogram of body weight in vertebrates) requiring BSL-2 containment.
- Shipping Infectious Substances Training (IATA/DOT) is required for University faculty, staff, and students who ship infectious substances including diagnostic specimens, microorganisms, human-derived materials, etc.
- More information is available online on the Biosafety Training Home Page