Welcome to the Institutional Review Board for the Social and Behavioral Post Approval Monitoring and Education (IRB-SBS PAM & Ed).
The purpose of the IRB-SBS PAM & Ed program is to protect research participants and provide on-going support for IRB-SBS researchers as they conduct human subjects research that is compliant with federal regulations.
Our researcher education programs include:
- Quarterly Investigator Newsletter
- IRB-SBS Research Compliance Discussions
- Randomly Selected Protocol Reviews (on-site and remote)
- Research Education Q&A (online chats)
- Compliance Check-up
Post approval monitoring is conducted in accordance with the IRB-SBS PAM & Ed Administrative Guidance, as well as the Human Research Protection Program Standard Operating Procedures.
The goals of the IRB-SBS PAM & Ed program are as follows:
- Ensure the rights and well-being of research participants.
- Ensure the quality and integrity of the research.
- Identify educational needs, providing resources to meet those needs.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and institutional regulations and guidelines.
- Identify areas of strength, as well as areas needing improvement, in research policies and practice.
Types of review include the Compliance Check-up, remote or on-site Post-Approval Monitoring Visits (randomly selected or directed), and Consent Process Observation. The review process includes involvement from not only the compliance monitor, but also from the Principal Investigator, study team members, the SBS PAM Advisory Committee, and the IRB-SBS. For more information regarding the review process, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
The Optional Compliance Check-up Tool helps you to determine quickly if you are conducting research that matches your approved protocol and is compliant with federal regulations. The Compliance Check-up Tool is also useful to help you prepare for a post-approval monitoring review visit, which is a more in-depth look at your study processes. Working with Andrea Ruhsam, Post Approval Monitor and Educator, can help you identify and resolve any problem areas which can both protect your participants and prevent potential disruptions to your study.
Subscribe to our Quarterly Investigator Newsletter for the latest Education events and IRB-SBS updates!
The Annual PAM Report to the IRB-SBS for 2023 is available here.
Check out our YouTube channel for quick How-To instructions on improving your study: